Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I've gotta move on

  Well, it's official.  I let the first weekend of winter weather foil my outside long run last weekend.  I have been silently beating myself up about it for the last 2 days.  You see, all last winter I was content to run my 2-3 miles at a time on the comfort and warmth of the treadmill at the gym.  No biggie, 2-3 miles, easily doable on the treadmill.  Fast forward to my more recent outdoor runs of 10-13 miles.  I will NOT be doing 10+ miles on the treadmill. 
  I have been becoming increasingly anxious with the soon approaching, inevitable winter weather.  Like I said, I had never run in the cold.  My shoes had never seen temps under 50 degrees.  I am thrilled with the base I have built.  My runs the past 5 weeks have been 8,10,13,11.  Not bad if I do say so myself.  This past weekend we we blessed with the snow/sleet that was accurately predicted.  I had convinced myself that it was just too cold to subject myself to the outdoor cold, so I trotted to the gym to put in 6 treadmill miles.  As I was heading home I saw 4 other runners, all smiling, all running OUTSIDE.  I was disappointed in myself for letting this lousy 35 degrees get in my way.  It will not happen again.  (atleast until it's much, much colder)  Do you hear me MOther Nature?  It will NOT happen again, cause this weekend, the girl is back.

2 comments:

  1. You'd be surprised at how good it feels to get out in the cold - the key is to layer sensibly. That is, layer in such a way that you can adjust for comfort easily. I can stand one item tied around my waist, so I choose that item carefully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, that is just what I did today with much success!! I had a great outdoor run. Thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete