Sunday, November 7, 2010

C'mon ice bath? Really?

  So, after today's 11 miler, I decide it might be a good time to try one of the infamous "ice baths" I've heard so much about.  After last week's 13 I had a little knee soreness, so I figured it couldn't hurt.  Well....after my first bone chilling attempt, the only conclusion that I can come up with is that the "ice bath" has got to be one of those cruel jokes that seasoned/experienced runners tell newbies like me just to see how gullible they are.  This stuff can not be for real!!  Kinda like the "prank" when you start the grocery store as a stock boy and they tell you your main job is to keep the salad dressing shook up so it never looks seperated.  Great fun to watch the boys running up and down the aisles, not so fun when you're freezing your bum in a tub of ice. 

  So let me tell you...I will not be naive enough as to fall for this evil prank again.  You got me once, but now I'm much smarter and wiser.

  But, let's just say a girl were to feel splendid in the morning, free of pain and ready to hit the pavement again, all because of the darn ice bath.  Could one of you kind experienced runners give me some tips on how to properly execute the ritual?  I filled the tub with a few inches of water (as cold as I could get), dumped in the ice and a few ice packs and attempted to get in.  Yikes, not happening.  By the time I added enough warmer water so that I could even dip a toe in, the ice had melted but the tub was still way too cold for me to get in.  After a few minutes I was able to slowly submerge a few inches in to the water,  but I only lasted 10-15 minutes.  Then I had to take a warm shower to shampoo my hair.  Did the warm shower take away all the benefits of the brutal ice bath?  Yikes, I need help!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not really an experienced runner. But I loooove icebaths. Here's my tricks.
    I fill the tub with water. I don't like having to keep my legs straight the whole time so I want it to be a little deeper. Dump in the ice and jump in. You can't think about! I do wear my running clothes, at least sports bra and shorts. Its kind of a mental thing, like you think you are warmer then you are. And here's my final trick. I'll bring in iphone or laptop and put on a movie or show. I'm only in there 15 minutes but if your brain has something else to focus on it helps! I'll just click on hulu and pull up a 20 minute show (30 Rock or Community) and have it playing the whole time I'm in. I will admit, when you first crawl out you think "now I just feel cold AND sore!" but then just take some time and rub your legs with a towel to warm them back up and massage them a bit and you will feel SO much better. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definatley try your tips next go round. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great timing on this post! I did 13 miles for the first time yesterday and all I could think was to get in an ice bath as soon as I got home. (Albeit my first ever ice bath). It was pretty much the same experience you had except I had read before to keep warm clothing on you upper half, so I did. I also had my phone near by so I could check Facebook to pass time.

    Once you're completely submerged it's not as bad (or I'm totally frozen and can't tell the difference). Anyhow, I also think it might have helped that I had tempid water ran, got in the tub THEN threw the ice in and turned up the cold water.

    I can't wait to hear what more experience people suggest!

    ReplyDelete