Saturday, November 6, 2010

The flatlands of Iowa

  So, I got the run in late yesterday afternoon.  3 miles of speed intervals on the treadmill in 25.50.  Decent time for me if I do say so.   I felt great, considering my knee has been a little sore since last weekends long run.  (Did I mention I did the BIG 13)  I don't mind the treadmill one bit.  I know most "real runners" have all sorts of awful names for it, but I have learned to love the fact that I can push that little speed button faster and faster and my legs just seem to keep up.  Finding and pushing  a faster pace on the road is much harder for me. 
  As I was running away I got to thinking about all those people who hate the "dreadmill".  I can't imagine why???  Oh wait, maybe it's due to the fact that they have fabulous places to run.  I read of beach runs, gorgeous trail runs, sand dunes, wildlife spottings etc. etc. etc.  Here what I've got is flat (and yes, I'm mostly thankful for flat) paved, small town streets.  Last week when I did my 13 miles, I had to run around the entire town 4 times to make the distance.  That might just tell you how small "town" is.  Don't get me wrong, love my little town, but there are days I long to run on the beach at sunset.  Ahhhh, that would be a nice distraction from the heavy breathing and sore knees.  For now, I'll just be thankful I CAN run and I'll keep beating the pavement.  This weekend for my long run I may even venture to a nearby lake and do a 10 mile out and back with a lake view.  Now that's steppin' out of the box folks.

Tell me about your favorite route.  What's the coolest thing you've seen on a run?

2 comments:

  1. I live out in the country with lots of hills. Funny the hills never bothered me until I started running. In the morning, it is common to see 12 or so deer, foxes and some squirrels. Fortunately I have not ran into a coyote or bear. You are doing great on your distance. The most I have ran is 4.5 miles. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I think I'd learn to be a sprinter if there were a coyote or bear in my path. I should do some hills, but as of right now they are not my friends. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete