Thursday, March 24, 2011

Get over it

  So, there is a race looming in the distance.  No, not the BIG 1/2 marathon I've spoke of, but a small town Earth Day 10K and 5K.  No big deal right...well, I've got a decision to make.  Am I gonna do the "oh, I'm so comfortable and confident" 5K, or the "break out of my comfort zone and suck it up" 10K.  I have trained plenty for the 10K, in fact, I'm in the middle of 1/2 training, so the distance isn't an issue, just the fear.  I feel like in a 10K I have to run fast the entire time to finish in a respectable time.  (fast being a relative term of course)  I can just buck up for 3.1 miles, but 6...UGH!!  I'd like to finish in less than 54 minutes and I am so competitive that failing is hardly an option.
  So...last night I did a test run.  I ran 6.2 miles in 54:30.  That brought me in at something like an 8:47 pace, which I would be happy with.  The real problem is that I am so confident on the TM and I panic on the roads.  Weird huh??  Everyone I know hates the TM and loves the road.  I'm this weirdo strange runner who started on the treadmill and I've gained so much speed and confidence on it that I get scared when I'm forced to step out of the box. 
  Alrighty, so here it is....I am gonna get it out in print, which means I have to do it, right.  I am gonna do the 10K.  There, I typed it..now it will become reality.  Now let the positive self talk begin...I can do this..I CAN DO THIS!!!I CAN DO THIS!!

2 comments:

  1. If you're running a 5K at 8:00 pace, you can easily do under 54 in a 10K. In fact, I would say closer to 53. Supposedly, the general rule of thumb it's 20 seconds more per mile when you double the distance. Worked for me until I hit 1/2 - should be at 8:06 but (7:46 10K... 8:06 1/2), have only managed 8:16.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I've used the McMillan calculator, but never thought of it that way. I think my issue is not that I can't do it, but confidence. It's so much more mental for me. I'm shooting for a 1/2 in sub 2 hrs later this spring and I have built any confidence for that either. You have an awesome pace!! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete