Friday, March 18, 2011

Doing the best I can

  I am just finishing up my second week of uninterrupted 1/2 marathon training.  I say uninterrupted because the first few weeks were hampered with chest colds and shin splints.  It has felt good to get in some quality workouts and feel my speed increase.  As I progress, I am really loving the speed and even tempo workouts that build my confidence and tell my brain that "I can", indeed pull of these once believed superhuman feats.  I have been improving my 5K time to just over 8:00 pace and have recently run 6 miles all under 8:50 pace.  These runs all took place on the treadmill, so hopefully they translate to good times on the pavement soon.
  I'd be lying if I said eveything was all rosy.  I seem to be hopping from one injury or ailment to the next.  Right now I spend my days icing my right knee that is swollen and sore.  I can run through it, but not sure that is the "right" thing to be doing.  I am motivated by the fact that I need to see my miles increase for the May 1st marathon I am planning for, yet I don't want to do anymore damage.  It also seems that mid week (after 2-3 hard runs) my shin splints start reappearing.  While I can deal with the knee pain, the shin splints are an entirely different story.  The pain of running on them is sometimes unbearable.
  The temps this weekend are supposed to be in the high 40's, so I'm hoping for my first long run outdoors.  I have become a winter wimp and have done nearly all (okay, all) of my training on the treadmill.   I know that I need to get these legs ready for outdoors and the changing conditions that brings. 
  So, here's hoping for some great weather and miraculous recoveries.  Have a great weekend everyone, and RUN ON!!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the injuries!! Maybe go see a doc? They'd probably just say you have "runner's knee" and prescribe some PT...and shin splints...nothing you can really do. Keep icing! Glad you have had 2 weeks of good workouts though! Keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, I've been running in a flexible knee brace that seems to do the trick. The shin splints...that's a different story. I am post 2 days from my long run and I'm finally feeling better. I may have to just listen to my body and schedule a rest day and XT day 2 days after long runs. Seems excessive, but I"m sure I'd be happier if I just put that on the schedule and didn't stress about it. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey there, glad i found your blog. great training you've been doing. my shins seem to start hurting when it's time for a new pair of kicks. lots of ice may help :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment. I am icing like a mad woman, they were much better today. I've got 3 pair of shoes for different distance, all with less than 100 miles on them. I wish my shins could be my excuse for a new pair of shins, but unfortunately that isn't the case. I'll keep pluggin' away.

    ReplyDelete