Saturday, March 26, 2011

10 is the magic number

  Isn't that from the Electric Company, or Sesame Street.  Ahh well anyway, it had a ring to it.   I got my long run in today on the treadmill.  I am just not up to dealing with the freezing cold and wind yet, or ever for that matter.  I grabbed a GU to try and headed to the gym to pop off the big 10.  I have had a few issues with long runs.  I usually get them done, but they're not my favorite.  I like runs that build my confidence and keeping me wanting more.  Long runs do neither of those things for me.  When I'm doing speed work I feel FAST... (relative term of course),  I race for PR's on the treadmill (LOL, I know) and feel so accomplished as I see my time improving.  Tempo runs teach me that I can sustain a respectable pace for an extended amount of time.  Long runs...I got nothin'.  I am "supposed" to run my long runs at a 10:00 (or slower) pace, which I get no gratification out of.  Today I decided I needed something to mix it up.  I decided for the first 7 miles I would run at a steady 10:00 pace, but alternate hill workouts.  It worked!  It kept my mind off the slow pace and on the fact that I was doing my leg strengthening a big favor.  My ipod died at about mile 5, so I was forced to finish the last half without music.  I have Never run without music, so this was a new experience.  Kinda liberating I must say.  The last 3 miles I ran at 1/2 marathon pace (9:05).  It did give me some confidence to know I could finish strong at pace.  Hopefully I have unlocked a secret to not only getting through the long runs, but feeling good about it.
   Oh, and about the GU.  Kudos to those of you who can tolerate them.  I tried one after 1 hour on the treadmill (even though I knew I really didn't NEED one),  I must say, I kinda gagged and threw up in my mouth.  YUCK!!  I will stick with the sport jelly beans until I find something else.  Any advice on what I might try next?

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of the clif bloks. Eating GUs requires more coordination while running that I have the ability to master.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try those. Seriously, the consistency of the GU just freaked me out.

    ReplyDelete