Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Conclussion

  So, I finally got outside today.  I have mentioned before that I am a complete cold weather wimp.  I have not run outside since Christmas Day, and that was only because I got some new cold weather gear.  Today was a balmy 36 degrees with almost no wind, so it felt really nice.  I slipped in to the Under Armour cold geat and a light jacket, running pants and my Kayano's and I was off.  My shins hurt a little right off the bat, leaving me wondering what this run might bring.  I left with intentions of running 5-6 miles, and let's just say those intentions quickly changed.  I have really been having some issues rebounding from my long runs.  My shins seem to be sore and my calves tight for 2-3 days after.  UGH!!  I can't take that many days recovery you darn 40 yr. old body!!!  Throughout the winter I have obviously done all of my training on a treadmill, and unlike most, I love a good treadmill run.  I have increased my 5K time to around 8:00 mi. pace and can easily run 10K in 9:00 pace (or less).  Well, let's just say that confidence did NOT translate to the road.  Maybe it was just a bad run, or maybe it was my sore shins, but I struggled to keep the pace under 9:30.  YIKES!!  I ended up running 3.28 miles at a 9:29 pace.  I decided that should be enough for day one on the road.  I had better slowly venture back to avoid worse shin splints than I already have.  Isn't it said that after you're on a boat you need to find your "land legs"?  Well, I definately need to find my "road legs".  Seriously, it felt like I had never gone fast before in my life. 
  I have filled out the paperwork for a very fast approaching 10K, but I may have to consider switching to the 5K.  We'll see what happens in the next week.  I am confident that I will get my groove back, it may just take longer than I had anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment