Thursday, February 10, 2011

So, my first training challenge

 So, I know this might sound silly, because I know there are sure to be much bigger hurdles ahead (like how in the world I'm gonna work up to a 9:00 pace for 13 miles), but this is my first training challenge and I just officially started.  I guess being a busy mom to 5, I should expect many of these to arise, but I am intent on following my training plan as closely as possible, while accommodating the needs of 5 kids, 10 daycare kids, and the world's best hubby.  (just looking for the brownie points I'm sure I'll need on occasion to get out of the house) So, the issue....I continue to read that the "long run" is the most important in training.  No matter what, don't skip the long run..blah, blah, blah.  Well, turns out that Sat. (my preferred long run day) my oldest daughter has her first basketball tourney that pretty much lasts the entire day.  Immediately after the tourney hubby and I have to head out to bowling league.  Sunday brings 6 games of volleyball.  No, it's not hard core, but not so sure I want to run 9-10 miles from 1-3pm them play volleyball at 3pm and 7pm.  Hmmm, what to do???  If it was warmer out I would run really early on Sunday, but I still find myself a fair weather girl and really don't want to brave temps under 15 degrees.  So, there's the dilemma, simple as it sounds, I'm stumped and don't want to stray from the plan so early.  Just might have to hit the gym for 9 miles tonight.   Not sure my body (or brain) would no how to handle a 9 mile Thurs, but it just might have to.

Are you good at following your training plans?

What do you do if you have to deviate?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. So I don't have a training plan anymore - at least not written down. I have one in my head and the only thing it includes is long run days. I fill in the other days with whatever I feel like running. So, yeah, long runs are the most important.

    I have done my long run before on Fri morning or Mon morning if my weekend would not comply. But, I am lucky to live in San Diego so I don't have to worry about the 15 degrees (we never ran outside in HS when it was that cold - we would go to a tiny indoor track - 30-ish was coach's minimum).

    So I think treadmill sounds like a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your response. I am, in fact, just getting ready to head to the gym. We'll see how this all pans out.

    ReplyDelete